We bought our first pop-up camper in December and couldn’t wait to try it out – so we didn’t wait! We found some campgrounds that were open year-round and spent the winter camping. After several trips winter camping, however, we anxiously awaited the arrival of warmer spring weather. We have camped several times this spring already, and while we love seeing the birds and flowers, and having access to shower houses often closed in the winter, there are some distinct things we miss about the winter:
10. Wildlife is easier to see through bare trees.
9. The campfire is more than just something pretty to look at…it’s warm!
8. Solitude – no one else is crazy enough to be there, so you get your pick of campsites.
7. No crying children. (Unless they are your own, in which case, no one is there to complain)
6. You burn more calories hiking in the cold.
5. It provides a good excuse to go shopping for “winter gear”.
4. If you happen to be lost, it is easy to retrace your footprints in the snow.
3. Icicles make excellent weapons to ward off coyotes and bears. (We have not tested this theory, but it seems plausible)
2. Snuggling is mandatory! 🙂
And the number one reason we love winter camping…
1. NO BUGS!